You need to familiarize yourself with various kinds of herbal remedies. By learning about medicinal flowers and herbs today, you’ll know where to find natural cures for most medicinal complaints even in a disaster scenario. (h/t to DoomsdayMoose.com.)
This knowledge is crucial, especially if your family includes the elderly or very young kids who will require immediate medical attention in a post-SHTF world. These natural remedies will also be useful if you or someone in the group has conditions that require treatment with prescription medication.
Medicinal flowers and herbs for better sleep
When SHTF, you may require natural remedies for conditions such as:
- Swollen legs
Even if you don’t suffer from these conditions now, you may succumb to them during a disaster. It can be difficult to calm your nerves when you’re busy taking care of a whole group of people, especially if you rely on prescription medication.
Thankfully, natural remedies like the ones listed below may help address insomnia so you can get a good night’s rest. These herbs can also help treat other concerns, like anxiety or depression.
- Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) – Aside from helping induce sleep, chamomile can help ease anxiety.
- Hops (Humulus lupulus) – Hops can help you sleep better and it can also help you manage the symptoms of depression.
- Kava kava (Piper methysticum) – Kava kava, a popular medicinal plant that originates from Hawaii and Fiji, can help relieve stress. It can also help you fall asleep and soothe headaches and tension caused by related body and muscle anxiety, like fibromyalgia.
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) – Drink lavender tea to settle your nerves and induce sleep.
- Melatonin – Melatonin is a hormone that tells your body that it’s night time and that you need to get some sleep.
- Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) – Passionflower can help improve sleep. Additionally, it can address anxiety, hysteria, and seizures.
- Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) – The herb valerian is used to treat problems like insomnia, headaches, and nervousness.
Stock up on these useful herbs and supplements even if it’s relatively quiet. There’s no such thing as being too prepared if you’re a survivalist. You can forage for these herbs, or you can buy them in either dried or oil form so they’ll last longer in your pantry. (Related: Make your own calendula extract: Step by step instructions for this multipurpose medicine.)
Compression wear for edema
Other problems that you may experience when SHTF include edema, which occurs when your leg swells if you’re sitting or standing for long periods. Ideally, edema must be treated by medical professionals. However, in a disaster scenario you may not always have this option.
If you start to experience the symptoms of edema, keep your legs elevated as much as possible. Letting your legs swell for a long time may worsen your condition. Purchase compression wear now so you can deal with this problem as soon as it arises. You can also use compression wear for wrapping up any wounds, making this a must-have multipurpose item in your First Aid kit.
Don’t wait until the last minute. Stock up on compression stockings, medicinal herbs, and supplements so you can easily address minor health complaints if and when SHTF.
You can read more articles about other medicinal flowers and herbs that you will need when SHTF at SurvivalMedicine.news.