While the left-wing media spent last week lavishing praise on NBA start LeBron James for “opening” the I Promise School in Akron, Ohio, one local media outlet took the time to crunch the numbers and discover the actual truth.
“You wouldn’t know from all the national coverage that LeBron James isn’t paying for everything at his new I Promise School in Akron,” Patrick O’Donnell of The Plain Dealer reported over the weekend. He’s paying for part of it.”
That’s because it’s not a private school; it’s a public one whose “construction” LeBron helped fund via his LeBron James Family Foundation, which acquired the money by soliciting donations from donors such as Harvey Weinstein. Also keep in mind that every buck the foundation has spent on the school is tax deductible.
The foundation will specifically be paying for less than 25 percent of the school’s operating costs, according to Cleveland-based newspaper, which estimated that “the district will pay more than half the costs — perhaps around 75 percent – once [the school] is fully running.
“I Promise will eventually cost about $8 million a year to run out of the district’s regular budget, covered mostly by shifting students, teachers and money from other schools.”
“The coverage made it look like the whole thing is his,” district spokesman Mark Williamson reportedly complained. “He did a lot, but taxpayers should know it’s their investment too.”
The Plain Dealer reported that LeBron’s foundation intends to spend “$2 million or more a year when the school has grown to capacity,” though it cautioned “[t]he exact amount is still to be determined,” meaning it could conceivably wind up spending less, or more.
And then there’s this: The free tuition/scholarship to the University of Akron that LeBron guaranteed to students who graduate from the school will in fact reportedly be funded by the university, not him or his foundation.
Yes, King James opened 'his' school.
A philanthropic endeavor!
Except Akron Public Schools is paying for 75% of it
Univ in Akron put in $100K
And I BET Fed govt gave a grant too! (Obama?)
Let's be honest how much King did!
And how much taxpayers did.
— FriendlyJan🍀🇺🇸👍🏼🐬🌻🎯 (@FriendlyJMC) August 7, 2018
75% straight taxpayer funded, the other 25% will result in probably a 40% tax refund for James. So 88.5% straight taxes. Also local/state taxes for the school and federal for James refund.https://t.co/UoLbLi65p0
— Machiavelli (@weneedtotalk) August 6, 2018
Good reporting here on what seems to be a substantial taxpayer obligation for LeBron's iPromise school. Also, those scholarships to Akron apparently aren't coming from LeBron's foundation. https://t.co/YrxoTUcwxh
— Glenn Forbes (@GlennForbes1) August 5, 2018
You know that "LeBron James built a school for struggling kids!" story? It's #FakeNews. The Akron taxpayers are building, maintaining, running, and funding that school.
The LeBron "foundation" (which means other people's money) pays only a small portion: https://t.co/TESj8bDsEY
— RadioDoneRight (@FrantzRadio) August 6, 2018
National media dishing fake news again: A tax write off expenditure by an overpaid athlete does not make him a beacon, to the nation. Media start celebrating everyday tax payers footing the burden too. https://t.co/5Vb9J4HiG8
— Paul (@RealPaulHoward) August 6, 2018
"taxpayers will pay for the bulk of the costs… the district will pay more than half the costs – perhaps around 75 percent – once it is fully running."https://t.co/rSHYIb5zwR
— 🇺🇸 Mojo Rizn 🇺🇸 (@mojo_rizn) August 6, 2018
— scott huff (@huff_scott) August 5, 2018
This is far less about LeBron James the person. This is more about media protectionism because an athlete happens to agree with them politically. And of course, access. Kudos again to Patrick O'Donnell here. https://t.co/YrxoTUcwxh
— Glenn Forbes (@GlennForbes1) August 5, 2018
Theres more to Lebrons School he is "paying" for? Possibly 50% or more will be paid by Akron school district. My point is if Trump said he payed for School the media woulda had the cost ALREADY OUT SAME DAY THEY HEARD! THEY WOULDA CALLED HIM A LIAR. FACT! https://t.co/7lz3obloJN
— A. C. (@Anthonycorrad19) August 5, 2018
While I suppose LeBron deserves praise for funding the school’s “construction” — or, rather, the redesigning and refurnishing of the old building that houses the school — it’s a whopper of a lie to call the I Promise School his school, ergo why I’ve chosen to refer to this endeavor as a scam.
And because he exposed this scam, Patrick O’Donnell of The Plain Dealer might want to watch his back…